Matchup: Toronto Raptors vs. Miami Heat
Preseason records: Raptors (2-0), Heat (0-1)
Where to Watch
Date: Friday, Dec. 18
Time: 7:00 p.m. ET
TV: TSN (Canada), FSSUN or League Pass (USA)
Location: Amalie Arena, Tampa, FL
MORE: Watch live games on your favourite device with NBA League Pass
The Raptors close their preseason schedule on Friday with a matchup with the Heat.
The Raptors are 2-0 in the preseason, with both of their wins coming against the Charlotte Hornets.
Matt Thomas stole the show in Toronto's first win, posting a game-high 16 points on 4-for-7 shooting from 3-point range to go along with five assists. Fred VanVleet led the way in the team's second win with 23 points, but the Raptors got a scoring punch off the bench from Malachi Flynn, the No. 29 pick in the 2020 NBA Draft.
MORE: Three plays that show Raptors rookie Malachi Flynn's incredible potential
Flynn scored 17 points in 19 minutes of play, earning some respect from Raptors head coach Nick Nurse afterwards.
"Getting the offence initiated and breaking down the defence has been a pleasant surprise," Nurse said of Flynn postgame. "That's not easy to do in this league and to come in and be able to do that. I mean listen, it's still preseason and don't want to get carried away here, but he's looked good"
Friday's game against the Heat will give Flynn another opportunity to prove himself heading into the regular season, as well as the likes of Thomas, Yuta Watanabe, Paul Watson, Stanley Johnson and Henry Ellenson.
That's confidence right there 👀 pic.twitter.com/mBiYhbY6tW- Toronto Raptors (@Raptors) December 15, 2020
For the Heat, they're expected to be short-handed with Jimmy Butler and Andre Iguodala's status for the game unknown, but they could get their first look at Goran Dragic since last season.
While Dragic played a key role in Miami's postseason success last season, he was limited in the Finals due to a torn left plantar fascia. The Heat are banking on Dragic making a full recovery from the injury, signing him to a two-year $37.4 million deal in the offseason, the second season of which is a team option.
Now over two months removed from the injury, Dragic told reporters that he's "feeling good" entering Friday's preseason game with the Raptors.
Check back closer to tipoff.
- Bam Adebayo is coming off of a breakout season with the Heat, averaging 15.9 points, 10.2 rebounds and 5.1 assists per game. He was rewarded for his play in the offseason with a five-year, maximum extension.
- The Heat's biggest acquisition in free agency was Avery Bradley, who spent the 2019-20 season with the Los Angeles Lakers.
- Duncan Robinson emerged as one of the league's best 3-point shooters last season. He took 8.3 3s per game and made them at a 44.6 percent clip.
- The Raptors have four players in ESPN's best players for the 2020-21 season: OG Anunoby (68), Fred VanVleet (40), Kyle Lowry (30) and Pascal Siakam (24).
- The Heat had five players crack ESPN's top 100 for the upcoming season: Duncan Robinson (75), Tyler Herro (59), Goran Dragic (58), Bam Adebayo (13) and Jimmy Butler (12).
Last Time They Played
Date: Aug. 3, 2020
Score: Raptors 107, Heat 103
Raptors: Fred VanVleet - 36 points, 5 rebounds, 4 assists, 1 steal
Heat: Goran Dragic - 25 points, 5 rebounds, 5 assists, 2 steals
The views on this page do not necessarily reflect the views of the NBA or its clubs.