Two months into the NBA season, the top two teams in the league battled things out
Three of the world's most talented players took the floor as Giannis Antetokounmpo, Anthony Davis and LeBron James each made their mark. Ultimately, it was Giannis that had the greatest impact as he finished with 34 points, 11 rebounds and seven assists to lead the Bucks to a seven-point victory.
For the first time this season, the Lakers are losers of two straight.
If you missed any of the action, check below as we had you covered with live score updates, news and highlights from throughout the game…
Los Angeles Lakers vs. Milwaukee Bucks
BOX SCORE | PLAY-BY-PLAY
Final: Milwaukee Bucks 111, Los Angeles Lakers 104
- It's a wrap in Milwaukee.
The Bucks advance to 25-4 on the season while the Lakers fall to 24-5.
Giannis Antetokounmpo led the way for the Bucks with 34 points (on 11-for-19 shooting), 11 rebounds and seven assists. He sank a career-high five 3-pointers at a 62.5% clip.
After Giannis, George Hill (21 points), Khris Middleton (15 points), Wesley Matthews (13 points) and Brook Lopez (10 points) helped pace Milwaukee's offence.
For the Lakers, Anthony Davis led all scorers with 36 points (on 11-for-25 shooting) in addition to 10 points and five assists. LeBron James recorded a triple-double with 21 points (on 8-for-19 shooting), 12 rebounds and 11 assists.
After the All-Star duo, Danny Green scored 21 points (on 7-for-12 3-point shooting) and Kentavious Caldwell Pope scored 18 points. The rest of the team combined to score eight points.
The biggest differences? Milwaukee's bench outscored LA's 34-4. The Lakers also committed 18 turnovers to the Bucks 13.
- Out of a timeout, Danny Green sinks his seventh triple of the night.
The Lakers now trail 109-104 and foul to extend the game.
26.9 seconds remain in this one.
- We've got another timeout on the floor.
Milwaukee leads 108-99 with 3:07 remaining in the game.
It's a battle, but LA still hasn't made it any closer.
As for an update on the stars:
- Giannis Antetokounmpo - 34 points (11-18 FG, 5-7 3FG), 11 rebounds, 7 assists
- Anthony Davis - 34 points (10-23 FG), 10 rebounds, 4 assists
- LeBron James - 21 points (8-19 FG), 10 rebounds, 9 assists
- The Lakers are keeping it within striking distance but just can't get over the hump.
Anthony Davis converts an and-one to make it a single-digit deficit once again.
The Bucks lead 106-97 with 3:51 left in regulation.
- Uh oh.
The Bucks lead by 13 but Giannis Antetokounmpo picks up his fifth foul of the game.
He exits with just over six minutes remaining. The Lakers will look to take advantage with the reigning MVP on the sideline.
- Giannis Antetokounmpo is back on the floor, which is a great thing for the Bucks.
The Greek Freak sinks his FIFTH triple of the night and is up to 30 points. The Bucks are back up 14.
🔥 5 3PM FOR GIANNIS 🔥- NBA (@NBA) December 20, 2019
The Greek Freak (30 PTS) is up to a career-high from behind the arc!#FearTheDeer on @NBAonTNT pic.twitter.com/YT94pDmsuJ
Timeout LA. Milwaukee leads 98-84.
There's 9:05 left in this one.
- LeBron James has picked up his fourth and fifth fouls in the first two minutes of the fourth
- LeBron James, 5
- Giannis Antetokounmpo, 4
- Wesley Matthews, 4
- Khris Middleton, 4
End of Third Quarter: Milwaukee Bucks 89, Los Angeles Lakers 81
- The Lakers outscore the Bucks 35-24 to make it a single-digit game going into the final frame.
After trailing by as many as 21, the deficit is now just eight.
Anthony Davis and Giannis Antetokounmpo have each scored 23 points apiece to lead all scorers.
Davis scored 15 of his 23 in the third.
Giannis has four fouls, which is something to monitor down the stretch.
- Another game, another day rewriting the record books for LeBron James.
More history for @KingJames, who passes the Glove on the all-time dimes list. pic.twitter.com/poX2eQRGiP- Los Angeles Lakers (@Lakers) December 20, 2019
- LA continues to chip away.
TImeout on the floor as the third comes to a close and Milwaukee leads 89-79.
There's 44 ticks remaining in the quarter.
Can the Lakers continue to make this one interesting?
- The Lakers won't go away!
Anthony Davis finishes off the glass for his 17th points of the night and the deficit is down to 11.
Timeout Bucks. They lead 84-73 with 3:50 left in the third.
Another update from the stars:
- Giannis Antetokounmpo - 23 points (8-14 FG, 4-6 3FG), 10 rebounds, 6 assists
- Anthony Davis - 17 points (6-14 FG), 6 rebounds, 4 assists
- LeBron James - 14 points (5-14 FG), 8 rebounds, 8 assists
As solid as Davis and James have been, Danny Green leads the Lakers with 18 points (on 6-10 3FG) while Kentavious Caldwell-Pope has scored 16 (on 6-10 FG).
- Giannis Antetkounmpo is feeling it from deep. He's 4-for-6 from beyond the arc and is up to 23 points in the game but heads to the bench with four fouls.
LA is trying to make things interesting and has cut the deficit as low as 13 points in the third but Milwaukee has been successful in responding to each run.
It's 78-61 with 7:04 left in the third.
Halftime: Milwaukee Bucks 65, Los Angeles Lakers 46
- Halftime stats:
- After leading by as many as 21, the Bucks take a 19-point lead into the halftime break.
Giannis Antetokounmpo leads all scorers with 16 points (on 6-for-11 shooting), he's also grabbed eight boards and dished out six assists.
George Hill has scored 15 off the bench for Milwaukee.
The Lakers are led by Danny Green's 12 points. LeBron James has 11 points (on 4-for-11 shooting), seven boards and two assists.
Anthony Davis is 2-for-9 from the field and has scored eight points.
- Lakers head coach Frank Vogel is whistled for a T.
Khris Middleton sinks the technical and puts Milwaukee up 60-43. 2:13 remains in the half.
- Danny Green is heating up!
Green is 4-for-5 from deep, with his last triple coming through contact. He failed to convert the four-point play but has a team-high 12 points in the game.
Green Light 🚦 pic.twitter.com/nLgTKs5jk4- Los Angeles Lakers (@Lakers) December 20, 2019
Milwaukee leads 57-43 with under three to play.
- A transition 3 from Khris Middleton makes it a 14-2 run for the Bucks, who now lead by 19.
KHA$H SPLASH. #FearTheDeer pic.twitter.com/g34Re6nqCh- Milwaukee Bucks (@Bucks) December 20, 2019
Timeout Lakers. They trail 43-24 with 7:08 left in the quarter.
Middleton is up to seven points in the game while Giannis Antetokounmpo leads all scorers with 12 points.
His 3-pointer is looking pretty good, too.
"Are you kidding me?"- Milwaukee Bucks (@Bucks) December 20, 2019
No, he's been doing this. pic.twitter.com/Padio8FOxI
- LeBron James finally gets his first field goal of the night as he nails a triple from the left wing.
This Laker team can only go as far as he and Anthony Davis take it.
- The Bucks open the quarter on a 6-0 run, forcing the Lakers to call a timeout less than 90 seconds into the frame.
It's 29-17 with 10:31 remaining in the second.
LA looks to turn things around quickly before this gets out of hand early.
End of First Quarter: Milwaukee Bucks 23, Los Angeles Lakers 17
- Cold shooting from the Lakers (28.6%) results in the team's lowest-scoring first quarter this season.
Milwaukee takes a six-point lead into the second frame.
George Hill is up to 10 points to lead all scorers while Danny Green still leads the Lakers with six.
As for the stars:
Giannis Antetokounmpo - 5 points (2-4 FG, 1-2 3FG)
Anthony Davis - 3 points (1-6 FG, 1-2 FT)
LeBron James - 2 points (0-5 FG, 2-2 FT)
- Under three minutes remain in the first and the Bucks are still in the lead.
It's 17-15 with 2:59 on the clock. TImeout on the floor.
Milwaukee is led by six points from George Hill, who is 2-for-2 from deep. Giannis Antetokounmpo and Donte DiVincenzo have each scored five points for the Bucks as well.
For the Lakers, Danny Green has knocked down two triples for a team-high six points. Anthony Davis (0-for-3) and LeBron James (0-for-5) are a combined 0-for-8 from the field. Davis has hit one of two free throws while LeBron is 2-for-2 from the line.
LA is shooting 29.4% from the field while Milwaukee is shooting 37.5%.
- Timeout on the floor.
6:54 remains in the first and the Bucks lead 9-5.
Milwaukee (3-for-11) and LA (2-for-11) are shooting a combined 5-for-22 from the field early on.
Giannis Antetokounmpo leads all scorers early on with five points. He's nailed a triple and had a putback dunk.
Giannis. Pull Up. Splash.#FearTheDeer pic.twitter.com/Bb2cTd6YLf- Milwaukee Bucks (@Bucks) December 20, 2019
Oh, and a block on LeBron James, who's 0-for-5 early on.
The Freak swats The King 🤚#FearTheDeer pic.twitter.com/NsI5MTBDu8- Milwaukee Bucks (@Bucks) December 20, 2019
- We've got a minor stoppage in the action and it's been a cold start for both teams.
Despite shooting 2-for-8 early on, Milwaukee leads 7-5 with 7:52 remaining in the first.
LA is shooting even worse at 2-for-9.
- Game on.
Danny Green sinks a triple to get the Lakers on the board first. We're underway in Milwaukee.
- After missing the Lakers most recent outing with an ankle injury, Anthony Davis is back in action in Milwaukee:
The Brow is back tonight 〰 #LakeShow pic.twitter.com/ld2dqHRgeb- Los Angeles Lakers (@Lakers) December 19, 2019