On the second night of a back-to-back, the Boomers sat out their NBA stars in Patty Mills, Joe Ingles, Aron Baynes and Matthew Dellavedova against Nigeria.
And still, they record a huge 39-point win in a battle of undefeated teams at Las Vegas. Six players scored in double figures led by Chris Goulding's 21 points - all of which coming on a perfect 7-of-7 from beyond the arc as the Boomers knocked down 18 3-pointers on 62.1% efficiency.
2022 NBA Draft prospect Josh Giddey impressed in his 24 minutes, putting up 14 points, four rebounds and three assists.
For Nigeria, who were playing all of their players and were coming off wins over Team USA and Argentina, Josh Okogie and Obi Emegano top scored with 10 points apiece.
Australian Boomers vs. Nigeria: Live score, updates, highlights
Final: Boomers 108, Nigeria 69
- That's the buzzer and a dominant win for the Boomers. They come out on top, in the battle of the undefeated squads, and improve to 3-0 despite missing multiple key NBA players.
- Five quick points from Josh Green with a couple of those coming via a rim-rattling dunk off a steal to push the lead to nearly 50.
😤 😤 😤- NBA Australia (@NBA_AU) July 14, 2021
🇦🇺 @JoshBGreen punches it home! pic.twitter.com/9732vU6Uro
- A couple of great passes, one on a great cut by Nick Kay and one in transition by Goulding to push the Boomers lead to 41 (95-54).
The Chris Goulding Show 📺- The NBL (@NBL) July 14, 2021
One of our favourite programs on TV, tbh.@ChrisGoulding43 @BasketballAus @ESPNAusNZ pic.twitter.com/n4sh3IA7lm
- Another one for Goulding. He's now 7-of-7 from beyond the arc as the Boomers lead 91-54 with 6:49 left to play.
End of third quarter: Boomers 84, Nigeria 46
- Boomers keep their foot on the medal. Relentless play as they extend their lead to 38 with the final quarter remaining.
- Goulding remains perfect from beyond the arc, as he pours in nine in the quarter. Heading into the fourth, he is a perfect 6-of-6 from 3-point range. Jock Landale chipped-in with five as well in the third.
"My Precious!"- The NBL (@NBL) July 14, 2021
Jock Landale showing that he's the lord of this ring.@JockLandale @BasketballAus @ESPNAusNZ pic.twitter.com/cIFrwatWdv
- Just over four minutes in and a more competitive third quarter (11-8). Nine of the Boomers' 11 points have come from behind the arc as they have knocked down 12 3-pointers on near 60 percent efficiency.
Dante with the set 🆙- The NBL (@NBL) July 14, 2021
Jock with the GET 🆙 💥@BasketballAus @ESPNAusNZ #GoBoomers pic.twitter.com/ZsskyvWtgg
- Two quick 3-pointers for the Boomers and they extend their lead to 26 (55-29).
Halftime: Boomers 49, Nigeria 29
- Despite missing their NBA stars, the Boomers lead big after two quarters behind some impressive play by 18-year-old Giddey.
This kid.#NBA teams take note, you want this 18-year-old on your squad.@joshgiddey @BasketballAus @ESPNAusNZ pic.twitter.com/86vCzljKZB- The NBL (@NBL) July 14, 2021
- Giddey, Nathan Sobey and Chris Goulding lead the scoring charts with nine points apiece. Nick Kay and Jock Landale combine for 14 while Mattise Thybulle does his thing with two assists and two steals in 10 minutes. For Nigeria, three players - Josh Okogie, Jahlil Okafor and Ike Nwamu lead the way with five apiece.
GIDDEY 🆙 👌- The NBL (@NBL) July 14, 2021
BRB, just investing in all that @joshgiddey #NBA draft stock.@BasketballAus @ESPNAusNZ pic.twitter.com/2FBeN8dxWR
- 1:28 left in the first half and the deficit is still a comprehensive 19 points (43-24).
Miye Oni from Nnamdi pic.twitter.com/QJj2LfRtlr- D'Tigers | Nigeria Basketball (@NigeriaBasket) July 14, 2021
- Halfway through the period, a slow one for both teams and the Boomers hold a comfortable 34-17 lead.
- Three minutes into the second quarter, the Boomers have still doubled up their opponents: 30-15.
☁️ S☁️BEY ☁️@sobes2zero @BasketballAus @ESPNAusNZ pic.twitter.com/mI1V2ruhAY- The NBL (@NBL) July 14, 2021
First Quarter: Boomers 26, Nigeria 13
- That's a wrap on the first 12 minutes. On the back of a 11-3 to end the period, the Boomers double-up Nigeria.
- Giddey knocks down the 3-pointer and the Boomers are up 20-11 with 2:12 in the first quarter.
GIDD3⃣Y- The NBL (@NBL) July 14, 2021
The Next Star looking good in the Green & Gold 🤩 @joshgiddey @BasketballAus @ESPNAusNZ pic.twitter.com/azXmIkg2DT
- NBA Academy alumni and 2022 Draft prospect Josh Giddy checks into the game.
Josh Giddey has entered the game. This will be NBA decision-makers first look at him live in-game. #NBATwitter pic.twitter.com/FpeKXgnoab- Lachlan Everett (@LachieEverett) July 14, 2021
- Four minutes in and the Boomers hold a strong 12-4 lead.
B👌👌MERS firing early- The NBL (@NBL) July 14, 2021
Sobes and Jock connecting from deep.@BasketballAus @ESPNAusNZ pic.twitter.com/i8E4vjJ2RM
- No Patty Mills, Aron Baynes, Matthew Dellavedova or Joe Ingles for this one. Possibly expected given that this was the second night of a back-to-back in an exhibition tournament against an opponent that's in their group in the Olympics.
Before the game tips off, re-live the best plays from Australia's win over Team USA
Recap Australia's big win over Team USA with all the highlights! 🔥- NBA Australia (@NBA_AU) July 13, 2021
📊 @Patty_Mills 22 points, 4 assists
📊 @Joeingles7 17 points, 4 rebounds
📊 @MatisseThybulle 12 points, 3 steals, 2 blocks pic.twitter.com/GypvUNmXtX
The views on this page do not necessarily reflect the views of the NBA or its clubs.